Dutch Baby... & Something for You

This is one of my favorite easy & quick breakfast dishes.  It's called a Dutch Baby is lies somewhere between crepes & pancakes.  They are buttery and dense.  I love Dutch Babies first of all because they are so delicious.  Secondly they require minimal ingredients & preparation, perfect for a Sunday morning.  Thirdly, I love the name.  It is always fun to pronounce to your guests that you will be serving them a Dutch Baby for breakfast.  They look at you like you're some cannibalistic freak.  And right before they start to run out the door you get to explain "Oh, don't worry, it's not an actual baby of Dutch origin.  That's just the name of the dish."

Here's the scoop:
Ingredients
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs at room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix well together everything but the butter (you can even do it in the blender). 
 Melt butter in 10-inch iron skillet on medium heat on the stovetop.  Tilt skillet to coat sides with the melted butter.  Pour mixture into the skillet & allow to cook for one minute (DO NOT STIR).



Place skillet in hot oven and bake 12-15 minutes or until it is puffed up and golden brown.  It will get pretty big, but don't worry once you pull it out of the oven it will fall.

 

Serve immediately in wedges topped with powdered sugar, syrup, or berries (or whatever you want :)

And now... a treat for you!  Since anyone who makes breakfast needs on of these.  Since I have one & use it all the time.  Since I love it.  Since I'm addicted to shades of olive green.  And finally, since I found it on sale.



I'm giving away this 2 quart, olive green, melamine batter bowl with a rubber grip bottom.  This is a great batter bowl because it's lightweight, doesn't slip when you stir, & is a perfect size for making pancake, Dutch Baby, & waffle batter.

To enter all you need to do is put one of your favorite breakfast dishes in the comments section below.
And as always, if you've got a recipe you'd be willing to share email it to me at j.yphotography@yahoo.com


Winner (chosen at random) will be announced Sunday night.  You should enter, I don't have a ton of followers so you have a good chance of winning :)

4 comments:

  1. Our favorite breakfast dish is baked oatmeal. It easy, quick, and tasty. Some of us in the family(the strange ones) add milk. The rest of us just eat it hot out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite breakfast it crepes with different fruits and REAL whipping creme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom makes dutch baby's too!! Pear with raspberry coulis sauce. So good!

    I'm not a big breakfast person. But every Christmas and Easter we have a Breakfast Sausage Fritatta and it's SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang, I am too late. But still will share my favorite breakfast. I love classic bacon, eggs, homemade hashbrowns and sourdough toast.

    ReplyDelete