Baked Spaghetti

One of my friends is currently moving.  Having just moved myself I was feeling her pain... big time.  I'm still unpacking boxes & mumbling under my breath "I hate moving!".  My girlfriend is moving deep into the boonies so take-out is not an option when dinner time rolls around, & there's nothing worse than cooking while you're moving.  So, to  help ease her stress, & hungry hubby & kiddos,  I've been trying to make her dinners so she doesn't have to cook.  Last week I made her a big pan of baked spaghetti & she commented on how she'd never heard of baked spaghetti, much less eaten it.  & that got me thinking, how many others out there have never heard of this wonderful dish?  It's yummy, easy, transportable, & versatile.  Great for large gatherings.  You can make it the day before (actually, it taste better if you do that).  It requires a casserole dish, which instantly means it's a comfort food.  I feel compelled to introduce the world to baked spaghetti... or at least the few of you who read this blog.  At least I've tossed the ball out of my court.  Here's the DL...
Ingredients
1 onion diced
4 garlic cloves diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound ground beef/elk/deer
6 cups spaghetti sauce

1 pound dry spaghetti noodles
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup cottage cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Directions
Heat oven to 375 degrees.  In large pot melt butter.  Add the onion & garlic & cook about 3 minutes.  Add ground beef & cook through, until there is no pink.  Add spaghetti sauce to meat mixture & cover, simmer while you make the noodles.  Break spaghetti noodles in half & cook until al dente.  Drain & rinse with cold water to prevent sticking.
To assemble place a  layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish.  Top with half the noodles in an even layer, coat with half of the remaining sauce.  Dollop cottage cheese on top by spoonfuls & as evenly as possible.  Sprinkle half the Parmesan & half the cheddar on top. Next put on the remaining noodles in an even layer.  Evenly pour on remaining sauce & smooth out using a rubber spatula.  Top with remaining cheese & sprinkle on parsley.
Cover with foil & cook for 30 minutes.  Remove foil & cook for another 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.  Serve with burnt butter bread & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment